High School Guidance Office
Guidance Counselor: Jordan Ashman
(Students with last names A-L)
Guidance Counselor: Marjorie McKinery
(Students with last names M-Z)
Guidance Secretary: Debbie Frisbie
Guidance Office: 589-7144
One of the most important factors in student success is attendance. Our expectation at Spencer - Van Etten High School is that all students will regularly attend classes. The school hours are as follows:
Monday - Thursday: 8:05 AM - 2:56 PM
Monday - Thursday: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Detention/Homework Assistance
(Mandatory if Assigned)
Friday: 8:05 AM - 2:56 PM
Students who have no attendance issues will be permitted to ride the bus home at 3:00 PM. In addition, regular class attendance is one of the key factors considered when awarding the C-Pass, which provides students with greater freedom in the school during their free time.
For students who are late to class unexcused 5 times during a 10 week period (all classes combined) or who have an unexcused absence from class, a 3:00 detention will be assigned. Failure to attend 3:00 detention will result in a full day of In-School Suspension the following day. If a student is absent from any one class 10 times during the school year, the school will request a parent conference to discuss developing a plan for more regular attendance.
Students may not sign themselves either in or out of school without parent/guardian permission. This includes students who are 18 or older. If your child will be leaving school early or arriving late because of a doctor's appointment, please bring a note from the doctor with the date/time of the appointment listed. This is a common requirement, so all doctor offices are prepared to accommodate the request for a note.
Full Day Absences
In order to be more proactive in improving student attendance, we will be handling full-day absences differently in the 2015-2016 school year. If your child is absent for a full day, you should call the Attendance Office (589-7144) to alert us.
Excused absences from school are as follows:
- student illness
- illness or death in the student's family
- late bus arrival due to unsafe travel conditions
- religious observance
- appointment with a physician or other health care provider when appointments can not be scheduled beyond the school day (note from doctor required)
- medical quarantine of the student
- required court appearance by the student or other legal matters
- college visit with prior approval of the administration
- school-related activities (field trip, presentation/competition of another school, etc.)
- academic examination
- family/school crisis
- any other absence excused at the discretion of the Superintendent