Pre-School Special Education
COMMITTEE ON PRESCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION (CPSE)
Initial referrals to the CPSE for services can come from a variety of people inside and outside the school system. Referral sources may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Early Intervention (EI)
- Pre-school teachers,
- Other service providers (Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapist, or Physical Therapists)
- Physicians, or
- Social services workers
If the referral originates from the Early Intervention (EI) program administered by the county, with parental consent, the EI coordinator will make the initial contact with the CPSE chair to coordinate transition of EI children to the Preschool Special Education. A pre-transition conference is required at least 90 days before the child's third birthday.
- A child who turns 3 between January 1st and June 30th of a given year is eligible to begin receiving services January 1st of that year.
- A child who turns 3 between July 1st and December 31st of any given year, he/she is eligible to begin services July 1st of that year.
- A child who is enrolled in EI who is transitioning to Preschool Special Education can remain in EI to a predetermined date established by the county.
- An children who is enrolled in Preschool Special Education can continue to receive services until August 31st of the year the child is determined to be eligible for school age services.
- A child must also meet the eligibility requirements established related to disabilities.
Please feel free to contact the Instructional Support Office at 589-7111 if you would like additional information or have any questions!